The Shadow Year by Hannah RichellMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
On a sultry summer’s day in 1980, five friends stumble upon an abandoned lakeside cottage hidden deep in the English countryside. For Kat and her friends, it offers an escape; a chance to drop out for a while, with lazy summer days by the lake and intimate winter evenings around the fire. But as the seasons change, tensions begin to rise and when an unexpected visitor appears at their door, nothing will be the same again.
Three decades later, Lila arrives at the same remote cottage. With her marriage in crisis, she finds solace in renovating the tumbledown house. Little by little she wonders about the previous inhabitants. How did they manage in such isolation? Why did they leave in such a hurry, with their belongings still strewn about? Most disturbing of all, why can t she shake the feeling that someone might be watching her?
The Shadow Year is a story of secrets, tragedy, lies and betrayal. It’s a tale that explores the light and dark of human relationships and the potential the past has to not only touch our present, but also to alter our future.
-- Two stories, past and present. I wondered the whole, where is it going to blend. The mystery. The suspense. When I wasn't able to read, the whole time, this book had me guessing and wondering, thinking. I loved how we started off on this journey, the words were just fantastic. The heat, I could feel it. Funny how you really didn't think, how did Mac find the place? When Freya came, it really changed the dynamics. We all love to hate on Simon, but everyone has to have someone in charge. Was he really in charge though?
And then Lila and Tom. Loved the story for them. Heartbreaking but I loved every single word. Literally, I sighed when the last word was read. And gasped. But I won't give it away. This book packs a punch! The reader will be surprised up until the VERY last line. I promise you that!
I was very pleasantly surprised. After the first few chapters I knew I would like this group. I mean, some kind of chaos would ensue. Bullet holes? The mural? Has to. But what? Ah, read and find out!
Thanks, and make sure you go to www.shereads.org for great discussions on this wonderful book and other great books!
Thanks to the publisher for the book in an exchange for my honest opinion and the author for a fantastic read!
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for saying hi! I always love to keep up with others!