Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Review: Stillwater Rising

Stillwater Rising (Stillwater Bay, #1)Stillwater Rising by Steena Holmes

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


After losing her son in an elementary school shooting that devastates the tight-knit community of Stillwater Bay, Jennifer Crowne finds herself unable to settle back into her role of perfect stay-at-home mom and committee organizer. Meanwhile, her best friend, Mayor Charlotte Stone, struggles to keep the town together, and Charlotte’s husband, the school principal, may not be the hero everyone thinks him to be.

As they try to heal from this irrevocable trauma, Jenn and Charlotte find themselves at a crossroads—within the town and within their friendship. For Jenn, broken and grieving, there is no going back, and she demands that the school be closed so that she can bury the past. Yet Charlotte is equally desperate to hold the town together, fighting the school closure and helping the shooter’s mother regain her place in the community. Jenn and Charlotte’s relationship is put to the ultimate test as each weighs her own interests against the bonds of their friendship.

-- My thoughts. Told in several different voices, we learn lots, and there is one sure mystery. This is a tragedy we have to deal with these days. It really makes you think about what would you do. Holmes does this in an excellent way, weaving a tale that makes you want more of Stillwater, more of its inhabitants, more of the small town and everything even if it is bad.

I can understand the anger Jennifer had towards Julia. I also understand the feeling that you look back and wonder what you could have done to stop it, seen signs. But we have to move on. I like when she goes to the beach and then sees the anger that Merrill's husband has. Charlotte is the mayor and she is just trying to be the glue and keep everyone together. I love the coffee shop, I hope it is included more...

Great storyline, Holmes is a fabulous storyteller and I think you will come to love Stillwater and it will end way too quickly and I can't wait for the next part!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for saying hi! I always love to keep up with others!