Saturday, August 28, 2010

~Saturday Sayings~

A library is a hospital for the mind.
~ Anonymous ~

People die, but books never die.
~ Anonymous ~

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
~ Anonymous Teacher ~

I've traveled the world twice over,
Met the famous; saints and sinners,
Poets and artists, kings and queens,
Old stars and hopeful beginners,
I've been where no-one's been before,
Learned secrets from writers and cooks
All with one library ticket
To the wonderful world of books.
~ Anonymous ~

Learn as much by writing as by reading.
~ Lord Acton ~

Show me the books he loves and I shall know the man
far better than through mortal friends.
~ Dawn Adams ~

Of all the diversions of life, there is none so proper to fill up
its empty spaces as the reading of useful and entertaining authors.
~ Joseph Addison ~

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

Reading is a basic tool in the living of a good life.
~ Mortimer J. Adler ~

That is a good book which is opened with
expectation and closed in profit.
~ Amos Bronson Alcott ~

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873)
~ Louisa May Alcott ~

When I look back, I am so impressed again
with the life-giving power of literature.
If I were a young person today, trying to gain a sense of
myself in the world, I would do that again by reading,
just as I did when I was young.
~ Maya Angelou ~

Beware of the man of one book.
~ Thomas Aquinas ~


Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted;
nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider.
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed,
and some few to be chewed and digested:
that is, some books are to be read only in parts,
others to be read, but not curiously, and some few
to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.
~ Francis Bacon ~

There are some quotes -- I really enjoyed the one about beware of the man of one book! I guess that isn't me!! hahaha

Today I will be continuing reading Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. I am really enjoying it. We follow 5 different families in the 20th century -- My favorite characters so far are Maud and Ethel. Usually I don't care for all war talk but this book just makes it more interesting and I want to stay up all night, but I know I can't so then I read even faster.

What will you be reading this weekend? Whatever it is or whatever you do, have an awesome weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, girl! thanks for stopping by and the support. Sorry you've had some downs lately :o(
    Blessings and hugs to you too! Sounds like you've been through the wringer.
    do you have MSN, or e-mail? not sure if I gave you mine before (memory isn't great). hal0girl@live.com It's a zero not an oh.(no need to post this) :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl. Its been a long time. How are the kiddos? you and hubby? i miss talking to ya.hope all is well. give me a holler. love ya, Mel

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hi! I always love to keep up with others!