Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Review: Hope Runs

Hope Runs: An American Tourist, a Kenyan Boy, a Journey of RedemptionHope Runs: An American Tourist, a Kenyan Boy, a Journey of Redemption by Claire Díaz-Ortiz

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Sammy Ikua Gachagua had lost his father to illness, his mother to abandonment, and his home to poverty. By age ten, he was living in a shack with seven other children and very little food. He entered an orphanage seeing it as a miracle with three meals a day, a bed to sleep in, and clothes on his back.
When Claire Diaz-Ortiz arrived in Kenya at the end of an around-the-world journey, she decided to stay the night, climb Mt. Kenya, then head back home. She entered an orphanage seeing it as little more than a free place to spend the night before her mountain trek.
God had other plans.
"
Hope Runs "is the emotional story of an American tourist, a Kenyan orphan, and the day that would change the course of both of their lives forever. It's" "about what it means to live in the now when the world is falling down around you. It's about what it means to hope for the things you cannot see. Most of all, it's about how God can change your life in the blink of an eye.

-- Wonderful story of what God can do when we let Him move in our lives. I love how we move back and forth in the story between Sammy and Claire, I loved especially Sammy's story. As Americans, we really take for granted everything we have. I thought this story was just a story of adoption, I didn't know that they started a running program and that really made it over the top for me.

This story brought tears to my eyes and I will tell lots of people about this fantastic book. Too bad we all don't have these thoughts, each one of us, one by one.

I received this book in exchange for my honest opinion.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Oh this book sounds very interesting. I'll have to add it to my read list. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really good. I didn't realize all that they did as far as the running while in Africa! Sammy is a one of a kind kid too!!! Really enjoyable book!!! Worth reading, but beware grab the kleenex! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hi! I always love to keep up with others!