Sunday, February 8, 2015

Review: The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy

The Love Song of Miss Queenie HennessyThe Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy by Rachel Joyce

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


When Queenie Hennessy discovers that Harold Fry is walking the length of England to save her, and all she has to do is wait, she is shocked. Her note had explained she was dying. How can she wait?

A new volunteer at the hospice suggests that Queenie should write again; only this time she must tell Harold everything. In confessing to secrets she has hidden for twenty years, she will find atonement for the past. As the volunteer points out, 'Even though you've done your travelling, you're starting a new journey too.'

Queenie thought her first letter would be the end of the story. She was wrong. It was the beginning.

--My thoughts. Well I didn't read the first book. I probably should have so I had a bit of a background to go from. I did enjoy this book. That being said, Queenie is quite the character! I loved every single person in this book. All the dying people at the hospice are dear. We go back and forth from past to present to find out exactly why Queenie was running away from Harold Fry, while she is waiting for him, in her last days.

I was holding my breath, wondering if he would really show, and I thought it was really sweet how everyone was waiting with her, putting up maps of his journey. Queenie is in love with Harold Fry, but Harold doesn't know it. Harold is married. But Queenie shows her love by thinking she is taking care of his son, David, who is a bit of a wild child. But it backfires on her. A sad story really.

I gave it four stars because the end just left me kind of like, that is it? That is all you have for me? I couldn't believe it ended so flat. I did enjoy all the descriptions of her sea garden, and her life there. That was so beautiful, made me want to build one of my own! This book is worth reading, I promise you that!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for saying hi! I always love to keep up with others!