Sunday, February 8, 2015

Review: The Wednesday Group

The Wednesday GroupThe Wednesday Group by Sylvia True

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Gail. Hannah. Bridget. Lizzy. Flavia. Each of them has a shameful secret, and each is about to find out that she is not alone… Gail, a prominent Boston judge, keeps receiving letters from her husband’s latest girlfriend, while her husband, a theology professor, claims he’s nine-months sober from sex with grad students. Hannah, a homemaker, catches her husband having sex with a male prostitute in a public restroom. Bridget, a psychiatric nurse at a state hospital, is sure she has a loving, doting spouse, until she learns that he is addicted to chat rooms and match-making websites. Lizzy, a high school teacher, is married to a porn addict, who is withdrawn and uninterested in sex with her. Flavia was working at the Boston Public library when someone brought her an article that stated her husband had been arrested for groping a teenage girl on the subway. He must face court, and Flavia must decide if she wants to stay with him. Finally, Kathryn, the young psychologist running the group, has as much at stake as all of the others.

As the women share never-before-uttered secrets and bond over painful truths, they work on coming to terms with their husbands’ addictions and developing healthy boundaries for themselves. Meanwhile, their outside lives become more and more intertwined, until, finally, a series of events forces each woman to face her own denial, betrayal and uncertain future head-on.

From author Sylvia True comes The Wednesday Group, a captivating, moving novel about friendship, marriage, and the bonds that connect us all.

--My thoughts. Well, all the ladies were super interesting. Some I loved better than others. Of course I am sure we all thought that. They all grew on me, don't get me wrong! Gail, at first she drives you nuts. But by the end, you love her! This isn't a happy go lucky story, by any means. But it is life. If you think this book is really about sex addiction, it isn't. It is about being there for friends, and really what choices these ladies are going to make for themselves.

Hard to believe this is Sylvia's first book. She did a fantastic job! You have clearly a book that will stick with you for awhile. Even the cover is outstanding! I was kind of bummed that a couple of the ladies stories ended soon, hence the four stars. and it was just kind of left hanging. That is a book for you I guess but for me, I am like, no way! So, I am very glad that I read it. I look forward to seeing more, this is an author that you want to keep an eye on. I can't wait to see what she will be up to in the future!

This book will be excellent discussion in groups, seeing what other ladies think, because we all probably have views about what they should have done. In reality though, it isn't that easy. Life is messy. I think my favorite is Hannah, and maybe it was just because we got to know her the most. Maybe True will do more books about these ladies. I don't know. I am excited to see what she does next!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for saying hi! I always love to keep up with others!