Surprised by Motherhood: Everything I Never Expected about Being a Mom by Lisa-Jo BakerMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
A lawyer with a well-stamped passport and a passion for human rights, Lisa-Jo Baker never wanted to be a mom. And then she had kids. Having lost her own mother to cancer as a teenager, Lisa-Jo felt lost on her journey to womanhood and wholly unprepared to raise children."Surprised by Motherhood" is Lisa-Jo's story of becoming and being a mom, and in the process, discovering that all the "what to expect" and "how to" books in the world can never truly prepare you for the sheer exhilaration, joy, and terrifying love that accompanies motherhood.Set partly in South Africa and partly in the US (with a slight detour to Ukraine along the way), "Surprised by Motherhood" is a poignant memoir of one woman's dawning realization that being a mom isn't about being perfect--it's about being present.
-- My thoughts. I have followed Lisa-Jo for quite awhile on her blog, so I am familiar with her. But I didn't know a lot of her story, so I really enjoyed getting to know a lot more about her. I didn't know that she really didn't want kids, as her mother died. I knew that her mother died when she was 18, but I didn't realize she didn't want kids. I was surprised!
There is a lot in this book, really a lot! I was excited to read this book, don't get me wrong it is fabulous to read, and really makes you stop and think, motherhood is an amazing blessing, and one we SHOULD not take for granted. None of us are perfect and we should all be encouraging one another on this journey and Lisa-Jo is one of those women that I think does!
However, she writes sometimes and just loses me. The words are just so, so beyond descriptive. Is that possible to say? That is what I mean anyway! But enjoy it. I know this copy will stay on my shelf. I think when my girls have children, I will get them a copy. Still a must read for women I think!! I think Lisa-Jo will get better with each book she will write!!!
View all my reviews
I havent read this one, it sounds interesting! =)
ReplyDelete