Tuesday, November 8, 2011
Review: The Dressmaker Of Khair Khana
Review: The Dressmaker Of Khair Khana by Gayle Lemmon
A glimpse into the people that lived in fear of the Taliban. An eye opener for sure. However, I wish it would have been more about the women instead of so many facts. I am not really a facts kind of girl. I do like a bit little but this was over the top.
When rumors of the Taliban come true, women must give up all they are doing, schooling, working .. everything and stay inside. If they must go outside, they must have a male escort. They must wear the chadri and they must not talk to any other man.
Well, most of the men are going to fight in the war and so that leaves the women, with no way to really work. So Kamila and her sisters start sewing dresses for stores and other women. What Kamila does for so many women is what probably saved a lot of them, their families incomes as well as their sanity.
I loved their story, I just wish it would have been a bit more of them, instead of so many general facts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for saying hi! I always love to keep up with others!