The Train of Small Mercies by David RowellMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
Whoa, lots of characters back and forth all at once -- I waa mildly worried when I first started reading, I think that is why I didn't pick it back up for so long.
But once I got to know each of the main 6 a little more, I was enthralled. All based around the train coming by with RFK's body on the way to Arlington -- everyone wanting a glimpse of the casket and of his family. Poor Ethel with all those children, and pregnant with another.
So many different things going on, Lionel's first day on the job, on the train no less! Edwin and his wife, both totally strange with their new pool and dysfuctional relationship! The story I really really liked, maybe because I am a mom myself was Delores and her daughter Rebecca. Delores' husband didn't like RFK and so she lies to her in-laws to get them to watch her unruly boys while her five-year-old daughter and her sneak around town for the day, waiting for the train to come by.
But Rebecca gets seriously injured during this wonderful day, and well, read the book and find out what happens to her! Mauve and her stories was another favorite. I do believe she had a real knack for telling stories! I hope her family loved her postcard!!
All in all, a really enjoyable book. Might leave you hanging a bit at the end, but that is good, in my opinion!!
I received this book free from Goodreads first reads program in exchange for an honest opinion.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for saying hi! I always love to keep up with others!