Monday, June 13, 2011

Review: Skinny

Skinny by Diana Spechler

Where to start.. I have so many things I could say about this book. I read a lot of reviews before writing this, so the actual book subject has been talked about a lot. Overweight vs skinny people.. Gray's father passes away, which Gray feels that she killed him. (You will find out why she thinks this almost at the end of the book) When she finally talks to the man in charge of her father's will, she finds there is a trust for a woman. When she looks this woman up on the internet, the woman has a child about the same time as when the trust started. So Gray thinks, oh my, my dad had an affair and this is my sister.

Gray then looks her up on the internet, to find out she is going to Camp Carolina, a camp for overweight children. Gray applies to be a counselor and without any knowledge to actually qualify, goes. It seems all of the people put in charge to help these kids don't have any knowledge or skills to really help these children. Gray has a boyfriend back in New York, Mikey, who seems kind of like a man with no direction.

What happens over the 2 months at camp, is a big mess! I am not going to give any more away but you will find out what happens between Gray and her "sister" and more..

At the beginning I really struggled to read this book and connect with Gray. It got better as it went along or maybe I just wanted to know if Gray would ever come out of her feeling sorry for herself. I wanted to like her, but it was really difficult.

Good points in the book, just hard to see them with all the disjointed ideas in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for saying hi! I always love to keep up with others!